I've been having some trouble getting through my new book: "Committed." I got it because "Eat, Pray, Love" saved my soul from multiple rough times. I read it, dog-eared it, underlined it, devour it on an almost monthly basis. (My love has been staggering away, partially because I'm not awake enough to read at night anymore)
So I decided I had to read Gilbert's new "memoir." But its tough. Why? Because I'm 25. I cannot even commit to a shampoo, let alone a relationship. I'm a hot mess of insecurity and I have walls beneath walls under more walls. (Needless to say, I'm a very private person.) How can I even consider myself ready to be married if I cannot even handle myself? Christ almighty.
But I'm still trying. (Okay let's get to the title of the post, no?) So I look at the book reviews on NY Times, and who reviewed Committed? One of my favorite other authors, Curtis Sittenfeld. I love her work...she's self-aware but also self-conscious at the same time. I love it. So I read her review, and haven't made myself agree yet. Curtis gives praise, but also discusses how Gilbert's fans could turn on her for not given us exactly what we want.
But I wanted a book. I just cannot relate. Its not the time in my life to think about marriage. I have to get my life out of individual shambles first.
No comments:
Post a Comment