Monday, January 4, 2010

Mantra: I love my job I love my job (breathe. repeat.)

I kept telling myself during the day today to stick to my mantra: I love my job I love my job I love my job. If I say it a lot, it must be true.

I go to my job with high hopes this morning: they hired another math teacher to alleviate our class sizes (what, no 38 student math classes anymore?) and I only have to have this many kiddos in my class for one more week. Plus, they have been on vacation for a while, they missed me, they're on their best behavior, they need to show off to their buddies, etc. The first day back is normally very uneventful.

Well, let's recap a few things that happened today. While picking up my lovelies at the playground this morning, I hear, "Ms. L, Ms. L, look at J's new bracelet!"

Let's back this train up for a second. My kiddos wear a strict uniform. We allow no jewelry. So why is this boy wearing jewelry? I was ready to give my stern "Do we wear that look?" ...when I look at his arms. Nothing. So my eyes travel up and down and land on...

OH YES. J's wearing an anklet. Given to him by his probation officer. Are you kidding me? Why do I walk out to my lovlies, after 2 weeks of not seeing them, and Anklet (his new nickname) is wearing a GPS tracker. Great. There goes basketball season. What were you thinking, running from those cops?

Then, after dealing with that fiasco (which involved frantic whispers to the other kids - "Do NOT make Anklet relive his bad choice AGAIN. Stop pointing.") JP saunters up to my classroom door with both eyebrows shaved into obvious gang symbols. (Have I mentioned I work at a "rough" school?)

"What up, Ms. L?" Me, with a shocked look on my face: "JP, what were you THINKING?" Him, smugly: "I don't know what you're talking about." Me: "Oh yes you do. I'm calling the principal." JP storms out, to go speak to the principal, and he comes back yelling: "I guess I'm going home. My mom's raising HELL in the office."

It was a rough day. But of course, some bright spots. One in particular. Single Ladies, the funniest student I have, was on point today. He began class by telling me that over break, he was "nodding his head like yeah and moving his hips like yeah," while demonstrating, and I lost it.

Then, later, this happened.
"Single Ladies, what are you chewing?"
"A wrapper."
"Why?"
"I need something to chew on other than Miley Cyrus's song lyrics."

I died.

No comments: