Thursday, January 21, 2010

I didn't mean it like THAT!

Let's rejoice, for a second, in a classroom full of 20 children. First, these 20 are actually motivated to learn (or listen to me and try to learn) because they are either a) scared of me or b) in love with me or c) separated from all of their buddies.

I love the last period of my day. I have some strong personalities (Shiny Objects and Mr. Smarty-pants) who keep me on my toes, but there are so few kids in there, I actually anticipate and stop their frequent interruptions.

So, setting the stage: these kids are leaps and bounds ahead of my other 2 classes (its so much EASIER to teach less kiddos) and we had time to do small group challenge problems today. They sat in small groups (5 groups of 4! HOLLER!) and got to work on challenge permutations, and I got to pull my low kiddos to MAKE SURE THEY UNDERSTOOD BEFORE WE MOVED ON. (This. Was. FAN.TAST.IC).

Of course, sometimes when small groups work together, they have "conversations." I rarely stop these conversations because I remember middle school. As long as they are working, they can chat.

Well, apparently one of my favorite girls told all of the boys in this class that she had a crush on Eyes. (I call him that because he once told me he thought my eyes were pretty. It was creepy. But I cannot get the statement out of my head). So, Shiny had to inform me that this girl had a crush on Eyes because he was "crazy and fun." Then he said, "Ms. L, don't you think Eyes is crazy and fun?" To which I replied, "You need to be working, Shiny." And he replied, "Come on, Ms. L. Don't you think that Eyes is the type of guy to show a girl a good time?"

EXCUSE ME?

YES. HE SAID, "THE TYPE OF GUY TO SHOW A GIRL A GOOD TIME."

Then he winked.

I had to use all of my teacher control in the world to point my hand at the door and say, "Get Out!" After which, he replied, "Why? I didn't mean it LIKE THAT!"

"Yes you did."

"No, I didn't! I mean, like, he'd be a fun time...as a friend?"

"Stop talking. Remove yourself from this room."

I laughed hysterically before I spoke to him about what was appropriate. Because of course, seventh graders know how to show girls "a good time."

No comments: