The kiddos have to take district mandated standardized tests so that we teachers know what to cover during the rush to the state test in April.
I have a love/hate relationship with these tests. I love them because I wrote some of them. I feel personally connected to the process of writing aligned questions.
But I made an executive decision to not work on the questions for the grade level that I teach. I don't want to ever fear that I "teach to the test." But herein the problem lies.
I don't write the test for my grade. Those who do are on their high horse and have not a) taught regular students (instead of advanced students) for years and b) have no idea how to write aligned questions. and c) DO NOT FREAKING PROOFREAD.
So although I love the tests because I think they can be used effectively to be a more effective instructor/analyze data/make small groups/generally be awesome...I hate that my test is not perfect.
So after standardized testing, we were outside letting off steam. We played Red Light, Green Light and some of my boys decided that lap running was going to be a good idea. Then, one of them decided to run "suicides" on the basketball court.
I laughed at how much energy this child had after taking 2 tests. He is a nut case. We went inside before he could convince everyone to have a push-up contest.
No comments:
Post a Comment