Sometimes, my kids say things that I am thinking and not allowed to say. This is one of those times.
We were reviewing competencies in our Advanced Algebra class. The kids were redoing the questions they missed on the test, and then completing the competencies that they had trouble with on a review sheet. They were working in groups....because I have so many mini-teachers.
Because my kiddos are machines and can work independently, I can pull small groups to my round table and re-teach competencies in a small setting. Thus, today was a good day to do that. I had six kiddos around my bean table (this is not MY table. Imagine it with bigger chairs. and more crap around it).
We were solving systems of equations like it was our job, and I look up, and someone has walked into my classroom and is standing at the front of the room, looking confused.
Perhaps he is confused because
a) He has never been in a classroom where the teacher is not droning on and on from the front
b) He doesn't understand advanced math
c) He doesn't understand English...
d) All of the above
This man....he is the OLD school psychologist. Not the one who ate babyfood, but the one who spoke LITTLE TO NO ENGLISH. Right. Chew on that for a second.
Wait, wait. You test kiddos (IN ENGLISH) to see if they qualify for Special Education services (IN ENGLISH) and I cannot even understand you? I TEACH ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS.
So you look confused at the front of the room and I look up and say, "Hello?"
Him: "You busy?"
Me: "Uhhh...I'm teaching right now."
Him: "Oh, I see you busy."
Me: "Did you need something? Did you email it to me?"
Him: "No. No email. I need. I have...questions?"
Me: "Yes?"
Him: "I need...scores...LM...scores?"
Me: "She tested out of Special Education at the beginning of the year."
Him: "Meeting tomorrow. I need. Scores?"
Me: "Can I get the to you later? I'm in the middle of something." (me thinking...what scores? What the hell are you talking about?)
Him: "Yes?"
Me: "Just math scores? Because I'm her MATH teacher."
Him: "You teach math?"
Me: "Yes."
Him: "Not..uh...I need reading. Writing."
Me: "Okay, I'll have it to you by the end of the day."
My kiddos: "Who was that?"
Me: "A school psychologist."
My kiddos: "Shouldn't English, be, like, a prerequisite for getting a job here? You should be able to speak English."
Me: "Yeah, he makes more money than I do."
My kiddos: "WHY?"
No comments:
Post a Comment