Monday, August 9, 2010

Comparing naughty

So one (of many) things I love about 5th grade compared to 7th grade is the level of naughtiness.

Naughty action: Untucked shirt

7th grade naughty: Refuses to tuck in shirt. Whines. Bangs head on table. Tells me to fuck myself.

5th grade naughty: Gets caught. Gets ticket removed from desk. Shirt is immediately tucked in for the next 2 days.


Naughty action: Not raising your hand

7th grade naughty: calls out. Gets a warning. Fights with you while not raising your hand about the warning. Gets ignored. Keeps calling out. Sits in lunch detention. Swears at you as they leave lunch detention.

5th grade naughty: Calls out. Gets eye from teacher. Claps hand over mouth. Raises hand as teacher takes ticket from desk. Raises hand for the whole next day.

Naughty action: Swearing

7th grade naughty: Swears. Teacher says that we don't use those words. Naughty stands up and throws pencil at teacher and storms out of the room. (I'm not kidding for those who think I am. This actually happened.)

5th grade naughty: Swears. Teacher says to watch their mouth. Student claps hand over mouth. Comes up to teacher and apologizes with tears in eyes. Hasn't sworn since.


I am no longer policing behavior. I am teaching. :)

No comments: