Monday, August 30, 2010

Already causing bias?

Okay, I'm the first one to admit it. When you teach a class of kids, they start to think like you. And act like you.

When you teach middle schoolers, they pick up your mannerisms. And they say them, then they make fun of you for it.

But when you teach 5th graders, they actually pick up more of your beliefs...especially those you probably don't want them to have. You never say it outright, but they pick up on your hidden schemas and mores....just because you are with them 8 hours a day.

Case in point: today's inferencing lesson.

When you teach inferencing, you show them the nifty formula.

Clues (text evidence) + background knowledge = inference

Here are some discussions I heard:

Kid:"Well, it says that she said she didn't want a birthday present. But, its a woman, and when girls say something, they mean the complete opposite, so my inference is that she DOES want a birthday present."
Me: "You're pretty much right. When a girl says she doesn't want a present, it means that she does."
Kid: "You know that because you're a woman, don't you?"
Me: "Yes."
Kid: "That's why I'm never getting married. Because girls lie."

I. Literally. Die.

So then, during independent reading, one of my loves brings her notebook and book up to me and we start reading it together.

Kiddo: "Well, the evidence says that A.J. is being mean to this girl Andrea and teasing her."
Me: "And so what do you know about that sort of thing? What is your background knowledge?"
Kiddo: "When a boy teases you and says he doesn't like you, it means he does. So he must like this girl a lot."
Me: "Right. Because boys are complicated. And they are liars."

What am I teaching these kids?

At least they can make inferences!

No comments: