Sunday, May 30, 2010

College me vs. working me

Take a look.

College me would be outraged. I'd probably bring it to one of my many gender studies classes/discussion sections. We'd talk about how women were falsely portrayed in the media. We'd discuss the effects this would have had on the female psyche, and female social and political development leading into the 60's. I'd probably write a paper comparing these images with images of women in advertisements today. I'd probably conclude that although different in initial appearances, advertisements of today and back in the day play on the weakness of females and try to put women "in their place," be it in the home in the 50's, or in the bedroom in the 2010's.

Working me just laughs. (and then remembers how crazy college me would have gotten.)

A lot can change when you're out in the real world and you cannot spend your time developing theories of female discontent. Just saying.

No comments: