Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I heart vacation

Friends,

Let me explain why teachers need vacations. I know, I know, the argument is that we hardly ever work and all we do is go on vacation (thanks, Dad, for the words of encouragement) but really, vacations to us are like gold. Or as I like to say, necessary for my sanity.

Let's just say that you non-teachers are having an off-day. You don't feel good, your brain isn't working, you are in a general funk. You can go to work, sneak away in your office, spend the first part of your day on email or generally avoiding coworkers, and sit in a comfy chair and maybe listen to some calming music before your day begins.

If I have an off day, it effects EVERYTHING. If my tone is off, then my first period goes crazy and I lose them. They emulate my mood, and thus, I have 30 little 7th graders cranky, crabby, and generally badly behaving. It gets worse from there. I get snappy, they get snappy, and we don't learn anything. I try my best to give the lesson but it gets too confusing, or I don't anticipate questions, or I get cranky when they don't understand.

Basically, my off days are an epic fail. And we have just lost learning time because of my general disposition.

Let's just say that off days happen more frequently when we haven't had a day of vacation. Weekends are not vacation. Weekends are spent catching up on sleep and planning lessons. This spring break is necessary so I don't a) have any off days or b) generally give up on teaching 7th graders.

:)

No comments: