Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Did you really just do that?

Scene: First class, after specials. (These are my special kiddos. Grenade is there. With 15 other kiddos who have IEP's)

Assignment: Problem solving.

Adults in the room: 3. Myself, working with a small group, special ed teacher, working with a small group of students (doing exactly what we were told to do in our "attack your teaching styles" meeting this morning), and guitar-playing special ed assistant, also working with a small group of students.

What happened: One of my kiddos, who is generally well behaved, is working with a small group of kids and no adults. I look over, and I say, "Guys, get back to work. I see that you are gossiping." They all nod and go to work. Then, I hear this one kid say, "Damn my brother." And I say, quickly, "J - watch your mouth."

Reasons I say this: Since Grenade is not allowed to swear, and I have to tell her to watch her mouth, everyone else gets the phrase "watch your mouth" if they swear. He does not get in trouble, he doesn't need to move, he just gets "watch your mouth."

Response: "WHY? I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING." Me: "You swore. You need to watch your mouth." Him: "WHAT DID I SAY? WHAT DID I SAY?" (He is yelling, the class is getting quieter, and looking at him.) Me: "You swore. I'm not going to get into this argument with you."

Then he stands up, throws all of his stuff on the ground, and storms out of the room. As he is walking, he throws his pencil at me and it hits me in the leg. He yells, "I'M GOING TO THE OFFICE."

My response: "You did not just throw a pencil at me."

Everyone else: The kiddos are silent as they watch him leave. Basically, my crazy class is scared silent as the other two adults in the room look shocked.

No comments: