Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Things that make me crazy

This probably has little to nothing to do with education, but, you know what, I'm the writer and I will do what I want.

So while at dinner on Monday, for some god-unknown reason, a boy from my past was brought up in conversation. It was really strange, being that we (the collective we being anyone who had to deal with the aftermath of that whole situation) are not allowed to talk about him.

So after he came up in conversation on Monday, I was talking to my best friend on Tuesday (sidenote - if he doesn't pass the bar when he takes it in 6 days I don't really know how we are going to go on existing...but I digress), and obviously I had to tell him about the boy who came up on Monday. He, of course, had a freaking field day.

While my bestie was laughing and continuing to relive one of the most awful times of my life (it's a good thing I have a sense of humor), I obviously decided to facebook stalk "the boy" to see what he is doing. You know, 6 years after he ruined my life.

Thank you, gods of social networking, for allowing me to stalk people from my past. It makes me feel good when I see that they a) got fat b) have no job c) have a crappy job d) had to move back home and live with mommy and daddy because they have no money

Okay so normally when the facebook stalk happens, I feel better about myself.

But not this time.

Even though, in the back of my mind, there was the little nagging voice going, "Don't you remember this kid? He was brilliant. Fucking SO much smarter than you. And a freaking economics major. And he graduated WAY before the shitty economy happened. AND basically he puts you to shame with that whole ambition and success thing." I still stalked. I knew better. And I ignored the voices in my head.

WTF? Of COURSE you work for one of the best consulting groups in the nation. OF course you travel to exotic locales with your amazing salary. Good for you. I'm not even pissed about that.

I'm CRAZY out of my MIND because you are going to HARVARD BUSINESS SCHOOL.

WHAT? Of COURSE you got into B school at Harvard. OF COURSE. Because you're a freaking genius. And an entreprenuer. And you can charm the pants off of ANYONE you meet.

AND it makes me crazy because you GET TO GO TO HARVARD. And well, I'm not in Harvard. I'm not in B school.

I'm plugging away, with no doctorate degree, and I'm gosh darn happy with where I am and then YOU pop up and make me crazy.

WHY COULDN'T YOU HAVE JUST GOTTEN FAT?

2 comments:

DentalDana said...

It was the meatballs at dinner. That's how it came up. Just to clarify it for everyone. :)

DentalDana said...

It was the meatballs that brought him into the conversation. Just thought I would clear that up for you. :)