Sunday, July 11, 2010

Oh mother

Preface to this story: my mother works for a school district scheduling early intervention testing and appointments. Basically, she works with preschool age kids and their parents and school psychologists and speech pathologists (and Occupational therapists and a whole litany of other peeps) to get these kiddos tested and help if they need it.

She mainly sees kids who have severe speech impediments, autism, and occupational therapy needs. Kids that age are rarely diagnosed with the learning disabilities I see daily because these kids aren't in formal school yet.

So basically, she has a newfound love/obsession with autism and the spectrum. And school psychologists in general.

So what does she say to me hen I do something particularly typical and crazy while I am at home?

"Miss L, I swear you are just on the spectrum. It explains SO much."

My reply: "Mom, you did NOT just call me autistic."

And then I started thinking about my "spectrum-like" traits: I hate large groups of people, I panic in disorder, I have sensory issues (especially when people try to touch my hair. Back off, seriously.), and my mother's favorite - "You cannot interpret most normal social cues."

Too bad they didn't diagnose on the spectrum (mildly) when I was a young child? Or maybe its not too bad.

No comments: