My lawyer friend enjoys hearing bi-weekly updates about his favorite student, Predator. Today was one of those days where we were laughing for a good 5 minutes about Predator.
Predator and I have an interesting relationship during Writer's Workshop. With the help of an aide (my coteacher is away being fantastic in the other coteaching room) most of my kids can fully function and write. We're enjoying working plot elements into our own narratives, showing that we fully understand conflict, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution. Our stories are, for the most part, fantastic.
Except for Predator. Putting words on paper is all but impossible for him.
Yesterday, we sat together during workshop time and discussed ideas for his story.
"Predator, what do you want to write about?"
"POSEIDON." (he yells this during quiet time, by the way.)
"Really? Why him?"
"He's awesome! He lives in the ocean. Oh that's the setting. The ocean."
"Okay, well then can you describe the setting for me on your paper? Make it come alive."
"Wait. There's more settings. THE UNDERWORLD. With HADES."
"Oh and his three-headed dog?"
"HOW DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT?"
"I'm amazing. So describe the two settings then."
"HADES. IN THE UNDERWORLD."
"Predator, here's what I mean. When I picture the underworld, I see a river of death flowing. This river flows down through 7 layers, each with more and more pain and suffering on them. There are souls who cannot escape, screaming at the boat. Then, at the bottom of the underworld, in the worst spot ever, is Hades. What do you see?"
His eyes get bigger than I've ever seen. "You've beaten God of War?"
"What's God of War?"
"Duh, Ms. L. A video game."
"Oh no honey. There's this guy named Dante who described the underworld in The Inferno."
"Dante wrote a video game? He must be cool."
No comments:
Post a Comment