Monday, July 14, 2008

Teachers shouldn't have to take tests...

On Saturday, we took the AEPA test. You know, the test that apparently proves that I am competent to teach the lovelies for 8 hours a day. I had to prove to the state of Arizona that I have enough "Professional Knowledge" to be a teacher.

Now, I loved this test. Why? Because it actually covered what I studied in college. It was a wonderful test of my knowledge of human development, developmental levels, and educational psychology in general. Plus, let's be honest, I'm a nut case and enjoy tests.

The others around me, however, did not have such a joyous reaction to these tests. First, when I was at dinner with S tonight, I asked about the test. He said, "Well, I heard you flew through it." "Of course," I replied. "I majored in this crap. And, I read fast." "I did not have such an easy time. When I was taking it, though, I thought, Miss L must love this. But," he continued, "if this were a test on sports, you would have done like I did, and I would have raced through it like you."

"I take offense to that. I know sports. If you would have said baseball, I would agree with you. But sports, come on. I know sports." His reply, after much looking at me while I stare at him in disgust because he questioned my sports intelligence, "I mean like, the business of sports. Sports trivia. All encompassing sports, not just sports strategy." I give up on this argument. I will lose if I try anymore. But if someone wrote a test and we both took it, we'll see how we both do.

But my favorite comment about tests comes from Mr. F, who took the High School English subject test on Saturday. "A few of them, I eni meni mine moed. The last essay was a poem, and I STILL don't know what it means. I came home, I googled it, I spent the whole next day trying to figure it out, and I still don't know what it means."

No comments: