As I was cleaning out my closet (6 bags of clothes to be sold/donated because I may or may not be a packrat) I came across something beautiful.
When I left Chicago four years ago, I left a beautiful job with a wonderful staff. I got into Teach For America and had to leave my cute Montessori school and the best job ever. I had to leave before the school year ended, and everyone was really sad (myself included).
On my last day of work, the school held a special secret community meeting. It was in celebration of me. Every kid made me a card, the parents made me a "road trip survival kit" and the teachers sent me off with a teacher's bag signed by each of them.
I found the bag today. The words these teachers wrote to me still bring me to tears. I was appreciated and loved. I was told, "We know you will change the world of education." I was told that "my new students were lucky to have me."
I cried a lot when I left that city and that job.
I'm sad now because I was at my last job for 4 years and I don't feel nearly as loved, appreciated, or missed as I was at the Montessori school.
It just goes to show you that I need to find a new job where I am appreciated and valued by the entire constituency.
No comments:
Post a Comment