Monday, October 6, 2008

Conversations

A conversation is a slippery creature. It morphs and changes, and definitely never ends up where you thought it would. A conversation, a true, deep conversation – not a surface chat about Marc Jacobs pants or the latest sports scores – can change the course of all individuals involved.

Here’s the problem with conversations – a conversation will not go exactly the way it had been planned. A conversation takes place between two people, and you can never know where a conversation could go. You could have an outline, lists, even a script of everything that you want to say, and it still doesn’t necessarily mean that you know what is going to happen.

If you are a controlling person, you probably don’t like conversations. Why? Because, no matter what you do, at some point you lose control of what is going on. You can have the greatest intentions of knowing exactly how it is going to happen and what is going to be said, but you can’t predict what the other party is going to say.

Conversations scare me. Not only am I controlling, but I hate admitting that I am wrong. And most of the time, I’m probably wrong. Or, at least the conversations worth having are the ones that I have to admit that I am wrong. So an actual conversation takes all of the courage I can muster.

But when you have a conversation that changes you for the better, its probably worth the slipperyness, the morphing, the losing of the list, the throwing out of the outline, and the fear of not knowing how it is going to end. And when it ends, even if it didn’t go as planned, it went the way it was supposed to go.

No comments: